Friday, February 17, 2012

Rufus the Red




"The name is Rufus the Red and I am grandson of the great explorer Reynard. I am sure that you have heard of him." And Rufus continued to chatter on about the amazing adventures of his grandpere. "Why once he even journeyed to the Dark Continent and met a man who lived in the trees among great hairy creatures and grandpere said that it was difficult to tell him from the creatures....  








 The miles went by quickly as Ceara listened to his tales while Merric, with a bored glance back at them, scampered ahead on the trail.


"and his call would send shivers down your spine."   


" And once he battled a great monster that lived in a loch...a monster so fierce that none could defeat him."  





"Stories to tell my own grandchildren one day, that is what I am after." Rounding a bend, Ceara suddenly stopped and Rufus ran into her. Picking himself up off the ground he peered round her to see why she had stopped and there standing in the middle of nowhere was a tall tower. Singing could be heard coming from within the tower.   




 "Hello" Ceara called and the face of a young maiden appeared at the tower window.


"Company! Oh how wonderful. Do come in for a spot of tea." and with that a stone panel moved and a passage way with stairs was revealed. Over tea and crumpets the maiden, Rapunzel by name, told how she came to be in the tower." My guardian wished for me to marry the king of a far off land but my heart was given to the prince next door and when I refused I was sent here until I changed my mind."

The story was interrupted by the sound of a voice calling from below the window. "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your golden hair." And with a smile Rapunzel raced over to a chest near the window and pulled out a long rope which appeared to be made from golden hair. She quickly attached it to a ring on the stone wall and then to the small coronet on the back of her head. With a smile she turned back to Ceara and her friends. "He does not know about the stairway and this makes him feel so brave." and she tossed the end of the rope out the window.


No comments:

Post a Comment